Jan 7th/8th - Step 5 - 3 pounds lighter Yipppeeee - I'm skipping to the beat!

We usually try to make our Christmas gifts.  One special gift I made this year for a very good friend was a tea tray covered in the lyrics from In My Life by The Beatles.

I like her choice of song.  When I listen to that song I reflect on all the lovely people and places I have known, and some of the not quite so lovely ones.  It's like a patchwork quilt where some of the fabrics and colours are stronger than others, but they all work together despite the differences.  Each piece was carefully cut and chosen and, for whatever reason, they are all necessary.

Music plays an important part in our overall health and well-being.  Songs, tunes, instruments all have the capacity to take us back in time, or to get us in touch with our thoughts and feelings. Music can capture our mood, even adjust our mood and invoke feelings and thoughts of the essence we experience in our unconscious. When I was training at the Institute for Arts in Therapy in the UK I remember having an almost trance like experience listening to Hildegard Von Bingen for the first time. It was quite magical.  However, in an art therapy group I was facilitating with sex trade workers the same music that had blessed and enriched me, seriously affected one of the girls who had been abused by a priest.  Later she was able to work though her trauma using art and listening to quite different music.  

When I go to curves the music is not always to my taste but the songs and the beat sure help me and stimulate me to work harder.  

The step five exercise today (yes another list) is to make a list of music and songs that you like and that contribute to your health and wellness and your happiness.  What music do you listen to when you are sad? Does the music help you reflect or does it make you sadder - in which case, as with the art therapy participant, find an alternative.  Something that will stimulate healing, not keep you stuck and down in the dumps.

Here is part of my list of music I find helpful to listen to to change my mood, stimulate or relax me:

Santana - Abraxis

Josh Gorban - Grateful

Led Zeppelin - almost anything

Bach - almost anything

Joni Mitchell

Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World

John Lennon - Imagine

The Beatles - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

Hildegard Von Bingen

A note about the lists - we will be using them in the future, so please keep them stored safely, they will be part of what we use when we come closer t the end of the journey and very helpful on review days.

Time to look at our successes and challenges:

Here are mine:

Successes

Three pounds lighter today - Yay!

Sticking to gluten and wheat free ( Look for the posting later with recipes and Gluten/wheat free menu ideas)
Writing on the blog everyday.

Challenges

Spending more than I budgeted

Not going to curves three times this week and making the time/priority to exercise

Not being on top of all the tasks I had said I would complete by today


Quote for the Day:

“Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it's often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.”  Brene Brown, author.




Post a Comment