January 27th - Step 21

So the cold bug has got me and I have to admit to not feeling very much like writing today but then again that's part of the process.  So here I am tucked up in bed, cat for company and a hot mug of tea.  I am not a good patient - impatience though does not serve me well and I have learned that the quickest way to get better is to rest.  Hard to do for so many of us who are raising children and working full time.  Fortunately today is not a work day for me, my girls are old enough to not need too much  so taking time to rest won't be a problem and I recognize I am really fortunate.

The social justice advocate in me gets more than a little angry when I think about the numbers of families and women around the globe who don't have this option.

These thoughts bring me to a place of reflection, of thanks and seriously counting my blessings.  Prayer has been an important factor in  my life for as long as I can remember.  I am not a member of a church and when I am asked what religion I am I say none. I was raised in the Christian Tradition.  I believe that all belief which leads to compassion, ethical practice and a better world for all will promote internal and social health and wellness.  Therefore I see including prayer from that perspective an important ingredient in the recipe for health and wellness.

My prayers are usually small mutterings at the end of the day - saying thanks for our home, our family, our food, our friends and even if the day has not gone so well, I find it helpful and helps me to sleep better if I still say thanks for what has gone well and ask for guidance in matters where I have no control.  Of course this supposes a belief in an external deity and for me this is a natural part of my make up.  I have always beieved in the existence of a God but not necessarily God as defined by any one religion. 

However saying thank you does not require belief in an existence of an external deity. I think gratitude and an awareness of appreciation for our natural resources; the things we are able to do, the people we love brings us closer together and naturally releases good energy in ourselves and for others.  In the documentary "What the Bleep do we know" the director recorded an experiment in prayer in Washington resulted in  measureably less crime being committed.  The film also showed evidence that water that is nurtured physically changes.  I am not a metaphysicist and there are many mor educated people writing about this but to me, it offers simple evidence that good thoughts can make things better and improve our individual and collective health and wellbeing.

Step 21 Exercise

Consider, if you don't already, introducing a night time ritual of saying thanks for people and events that occurred during the day.  It doesn't matter how small and sometimes the simple things are the things that are most important to remember.  I remember giving a child in Romania an orange many years ago when Romania was under the rule of a cruel dictatorship - his eyes lit up and mine filled with tears.  It seemed such a simple gift. I still say thank you for that moment of teaching.

Watch, if you haven't seen it "What the Bleep do we know".

Successes

Writing this on a tiny notebook with a serious cold

Challenges

Not having my computer to work on
Having a bad cold

Quote for Today

“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is ‘thank you’, it will be enough.”
Meister Eckhart











Post a Comment