Thank You for the People in my life.

Step 87 Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you travelled from where you started.
- Proverb


Recently back from our fabulous trip to the UK and Paris I have had lots of time to reflect and re-consider who and what is important right now in my life.  I made two significant decisions to let go of activities and professional committments that had over a long period of time been making me stressed and quite unhappy.

Taking the trip with my fabulous daughters, seeing old friends and spending time with my mum confirmed that it is my relationships with people that matter most in my life.  Belongings, sucess and money cannot replace or make up for relationship.  Of course success can and does bring many rewards that can benefit relationships but if the goal is to strive for success over and at the cost of relationships then that is not the choice I have made in the past or choose to make now.

In North America especially it is all too easy to get caught up in what we own or surround ourselves with as an indicator of our success.  In some families and relationships that success has led to separation within the relationships or missing out on a whole bunch of important times with our children and friends and family.

With thanksgiving coming up (in Canada) now is a great time to reflect and take stock of what is important in  life.  To think about how far we have come not as a measure of success but as a measure of what is accomplished.  Considering what and who brings you joy and happiness.

If you find yourself dwelling on past mistakes or things that have not gone well or the person you have loved the most is passed away acknowledge how you feel and mindfully think about your life right now.  There is something or someone to appreciate. 

Exercise

Create a list of the people who are most important to you.  Write a brief thank you on a card or note or email or text to each of those people telling them thank you and why you are thanking them.  For example "Thank you for all the days you have made my liffe so much better just by your smile" or "Thank you for all the kind words you have said to me over the years we have known each other".

Namaste

.

 
Post a Comment